Xiaomi Mi A1 is the very first Android One device that got the official TWRP support. You can follow this simple guide to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Xiaomi Mi A1 using Magisk.
MI A1 is the first Xiaomi device that is powered by Google. The device has a dual-camera with a 625 Snapdragon octa-core processor and 4GB RAM + 64GB Storage. Mi A1 comes with a 5.5″ display, a 3080mAh battery, and a hybrid slot. It also supports a Type-C charger which enhances the device charging and data transfer speed. As all we know, the device is powered by Google, so it is based on pure stock android. This allows Android fanatics to do experiments easily.
Guide To Install TWRP and Root Xiaomi Mi A1
The guide is divided into two parts: one about installing TWRP and another about rooting. But, before you proceed with the instructions, make sure to go through the prerequisites stated below.
- Do a backup of your device, because this process will completely wipe your data.
- Charge your Mi A1 to at least 60% of battery level.
- The bootloader is needed to be unlocked. You can take a look at the guide on how to unlock the bootloader on Xiaomi Mi A1.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking Mode on your Xiaomi Mi A1.
- Make sure to install Xiaomi USB Drivers on your PC.
- Also, install ADB and Fastboot tools.
Steps To Install TWRP Recovery On Xiaomi Mi A1
- First of all, download the latest TWRP for Xiaomi Mi A1 using the link above.
- Once downloaded, move it to the C:\adb folder.
- Boot Xiaomi Mi A1 into fastboot mode. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Power OFF > Press and hold the Volume Down + Power button simultaneously.
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB cable.
- Now, launch PowerShell Window inside the ADB folder. To do so, follow the below steps:
- Navigate to the C:\adb folder.
- Hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside anywhere in the folder.
- From the options, select “Open PowerShell window here“.
- Run the below command to make sure that your device is properly connected to the PC or not:
- The above command should now return a unique device ID. If not, make sure that you have installed USB drivers and plugged USB properly.
- Now, execute the following command to install TWRP on your Xiaomi device:
fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-0-tissot.img
- As soon as run the above command, your Xiaomi Mi A1 will start booting into TWRP recovery mode.
- Once you are in, go to the ‘Advance’ menu, and then select ‘Install Recovery Ramdisk’. After that select the same TWRP recovery file.
- Now, swipe the button at the bottom of the screen to flash the TWRP permanently.
Now, you have successfully been able to install TWRP on Xiaomi MI A1. Now, you can proceed with the instructions to Root Xiaomi Mi A1 using Magisk.
Steps To Root Xiaomi Mi A1 Using Magisk
- Download the ‘Magisk-v20.3.zip’ file from the downloads section above.
- Once downloaded, move it to an easily accessible location on your device storage.
- Power OFF your Mi A1 and boot into TWRP recovery Mode by holding the Volume Up + Power button simultaneously.
- From the TWRP home screen, select the “Install” option.
- Now, browse and select the ‘Magisk-v20.3.zip’ file.
- Swipe the ‘Swipe to confirm Flash’ button to root Xiaomi Mi A1.
- Finally, hit “reboot system“.
That’s all. You successfully have been able to root Xiaomi Mi A1. Now, you a superuser and can enjoy whatever you were wondering with root privileges.
In case, if you have any problems or issues regarding this guide, you can leave us a comment below.